Learn with me how to make a website in just 10 steps. Having an online presence is crucial for the business to reach millions of people viz a viz potential customers.
Covid-19 though has been the worst hit for the majority of the business by either shutting them down completely or reducing them to bankruptcy.
But we have seen a surge in online businesses like Amazon, Shopify and others that made billions of dollars since the start of the pandemic. The good thing with these businesses was that they were already online.
There are millions of other conventional businesses who were operating offline before covid-19 and then shifted to online mode of operations and grew their businesses by many folds by creating a website and in some cases a mobile app.
Today I will tell you what exactly do you need to create your website step by step.
10 easy steps on how to make a website
- Domain name
- Web Hosting platform
- Host your domain on the hosting platform
- Activate SSL from the hosting platform
- Install WordPress
- Do important settings on your WordPress dashboard
- Install important plugins
- Add your content (text, images and videos)
- Link social handles
- Check if your website is mobile friendly
#1 Domain Name
I highly recommed to choose a domain name that ends with [.com]. Dot com domain names have global acceptance and are cost effective as well.
A domain name is the address of your website which you or other people will key in into the address bar of a browser to access your website.
For example, the domain name of my website is thycoach.com and for your website, it will be something like yourwebsite.com.
Considering that your business is about pancakes, then you can choose a domain name like mypancakes.com.
Before you finalize the domain name of your business, you must do research about the availability of that domain name.
I would highly recommend keeping options out and choose 3 – 5 domain names before you finalize one.
Country specifice domain names: Choose a domain name that ends with .us, .co.uk, .ae, .in, .br etc., if your business is country or region specific.
I use ThouHost to check the availability of my domain names and Here is how:
- Go to thouhost.com
- Scroll down on the home page
- Locate domain names widget
- In the dropdown menu choose [.com] and key in your first option.
- A list will pop up along with the prices and the status of that domain name.
- Transfer: it means that the domain name is no longer available
- Register: it this domain name is available and you can book this domain name
- Type in your second option to check the availability and then third if required
- Once available, hit the register button and you will be taken to the signup form
- Fill in all your required details as asked in the signup form
- Don’t forget to recheck the spellings of your domain name before you hit the create account button
- Choose your password and proceed to the checkout for the payment
- Upon successful payment, you need to verify your email address by clicking on the link sent to you from ThouHost
- If you are a registered user of ThouHost, you can register your new domain name from inside of your account
Line of business specific domain names: Choose a domain name that ends with .org, .net, .info, .biz, .tv etc., if your business is limited to a specific industry.
#2 Web Hosting Platform
The second step in learning how to make a website is to get web hosting. Now that you booked a domain name of your interest for your business and when it comes to making a choice, I suggest you choose ThouHost.
The company provide an excellent speed and 99.9% uptime and above all a 24/7 customer service that responds in minutes.
I have been using the webhosting services from ThouHost for a long time now and have found it the best to recommend.
ThouHost offers a 30-day free trial
Check out the video for your knowledge and reference
Here are the steps of choosing a hosting for your website
- Go to thouhost.com
- Click on the Start Free Trial button
- Choose a suitable hosting plan with a 30-day free trial
- Fill in the required details and hit the Create Account button.
- No payment needed at this point till you test the hosting for 30-days
- You can choose to stay with them by making a payment after 30-days are over or migrate to some other hosting.
- If you want to choose a different hosting platform then my second recommendation is Bluehost.
#3 Host Your Domain
Now that you have your domain name and you have purchased your web hosting, it is time to host the domain name on your web hosting.
The process is very simple and takes few seconds to accomplish.
Here is a step by step guide on how you can do it with ThouHost:
- Login in to your ThouHost account
- Hover over My Domains and then click on Hosted Domains
- Click on the Host Domain button
- Add a Host dialogue box will open
- Key in your domain name and hit Add a Host button
#4 Activate SSL Certificate From Hosting Platform
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer is the cryptographic protocol for web browsers and servers that allows for the authentication, encryption and decryption of data sent over the Internet.
Having an SSL certificate is crucial for your website to get traffic and featured by Google and other browsers.
To identify if your website is SSL enabled or not, you can check on the left side of your url or domain name, if it displays a lock icon then your website possesses the SSL certificate and if it displays Not Secure then it means your website lacks SSL certificate.
With ThouHost you get a free SSL certificate for your website.
Here are the steps to activate your SSL certificate.
- Login in to your ThouHost account
- Hover over My Domains and then click on SSL Certificates
- Scroll down to locate your newly hosted domain name
- On the far right click on Activate SSL Certificate link against your domain name
- SSL Certificate Configuration dialogue box will open
- Choose option Request Let’s Encrypt certificate for yourdomainname.com
- Then click Activate SSL Certificate button
- The browser will refresh with the status on your SSL certificate
#5 Install WordPress
WordPress is the open-source Content Management System (CMS) that you can use to create a beautiful website or blog. It is the easiest, most flexible and most used blogging and website CMS for beginners as well as professional digital service providers.
WordPress, the Content Management System (CMS) is written in PHP and paired with a MySQL or MariaDB database which enables you to build and manage your own website and/or blog using a web browser.
You do not need to learn how to code in order to make your website or blog. Learning how to make a website with WordPress is as good as using a text editor like Microsoft Word.
Install WordPress in few seconds with ThouHost for your website.
Here are the steps to install WordPress.
- Login in to your ThouHost account
- Hover over Installer and then click on Application Installer
- You will find a big grid of web applications
- Scroll down a little to locate WordPress (it may be the first option from the right-hand side)
- Hover over the WordPress; Install button will appear
- Click the Install button; the Elefante Software Installer pop up window will open up
- Choose your domain name, admin user and admin password
- Now click the Install WordPress button
- Within few seconds your WordPress will be installed and your dashboard will be ready
- Once done the window will refresh the success message and you can visit your WordPress dashboard by clicking the Visit Your WordPress Dashboard button
- Congratulations you are all set!
#6 Do Important Setting On Your WordPress Dashboard
Once you are done with WordPress installation, the next step in how to make a website is to do some important customizations in your WordPress dashboard.
These customization will give your website a meaning and a great look as well. And more important is that these changes will take only few seconds.
Here are the steps to the WordPress dashboard customizations.
- Login in to your WordPress dashboard
- Locate and click on the Settings tab on the left hand sidebar
- General Settings
- Click on the General sub tab
- Key in Site Title and Tagline as per your choice
- Scroll down and choose your preferred Date Format, Time Format and Week Starts On as per your region
- Now hit the Save Changes button to save your changes
- Reading Settings
- Click on the Reading sub tab
- Select the radio button A static page for Your Homepage Displays
- Select Home for Homepage
- Select Blog for Posts page
- Hit Save Changes button to save your changes
- Permalink Settings
- Click on the Permalinks sub tab
- For Common Settings select the Post Name radio button
- Hit the Save Changes button to save your changes
#7 Install Important Plugins
WordPress is an amazing CMS that makes your jobs easy to design your website from scratch with the help of plugins.
Almost for everything, there is a plugin to get the job done, thanks to WordPress plugins that have made it easy to learn how to make a website.
After you have created an initial structure of your website or blog you might need few important plugins to give your website a meaningful look.
Like in case of SSL; though you have already activated it on your hosting account, you still need to install a plugin to make it functional.
Here is a list of top 5 plugins that you will need to install soon after WordPress installation is done.
- Really Simple SSL
- W3 Total Cache
- Rank Math
- Site Kit by Google
Check out the Top 5 best WordPress plugins free for 2021 for in-depth knowledge and understanding.
Really Simple SSL
Really Simple SSL automatically detects your settings and configures your website to run over https.
To keep it lightweight, the options are kept to a minimum. The entire site will move to SSL.
Three simple steps for setup:
- Get an SSL certificate (you already have it Free from ThouHost)
- Install and Activate this plugin
- Enable SSL with one click
Though most of your SSL requirement would be taken care by the free version of Really Simple SSL but should you choose to opt for premium version, you can get it here.
W3 Total Cache
W3 Total Cache (W3TC) is the total performance solution for optimizing your WordPress Website. It improves the SEO and user experience of your website by increasing website performance and reducing load times by leveraging features like content delivery network (CDN) integration and the latest best practices.
I highly recommend installing W3TC plugin on your WordPress website as it is the only Web Performance Optimization (WPO) framework for WordPress trusted by millions of publishers, web developers, and web hosts worldwide for more than a decade.
An inside look of W3 Total Cache:
- Improvements in search engine result page rankings, especially for mobile-friendly websites and sites that use SSL
- At least 10x improvement in overall site performance (Grade A in WebPagetest or significant Google Page Speed improvements) when fully configured
- Improved conversion rates and “site performance” which affect your site’s rank on Google.com
- “Instant” repeat page views: browser caching
- Optimized progressive render: pages start rendering quickly and can be interacted with more quickly
- Reduced page load time: increased visitor time on site; visitors view more pages
- Improved web server performance; sustain high traffic periods
- Up to 80% bandwidth savings when you minify HTML, minify CSS and minify JS files.
Speed up your site tremendously, and improve the user experience for your readers without having to change WordPress, your theme, your plugins or how you produce your content.
Elementor is a user friendly page builder designed for WordPress with drag-and-drop options that work like magic.
I would highly recommend to use Elementor as page builder for all your websites because this plugin helps you create beautiful pages using a visual editor.
This WordPress plugin is an all-in-one solution. It’s designed for you to build dynamic websites quickly, therefore letting you control every part of your website design in a single platform.
The basic version of Elementor will serve the purpose, but it is good to have the Elementor Pro, which gives you access to the premium options with Pro widgets, 100s of Pre-Designed Templates & Blocks therefore making your designing fun and easy.
The most professional WordPress Website Builder out there. Elementor Pro vastly improves your design workflow and lets you design faster and better than ever. Get access to more professional widgets, options, and tools to really push your design to the next level.
Having a website does not serve the purpose if it does not get featured by search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is much needed and critical for your website to get traffic from these search engines. SEO helps in getting organic traffic and takes two to three months to setup everything for your website.
I found Rank Math the best option for SEO after comparing it with other SEO plugins like Yoast, All-In-One-SEO, etc.
It is the host of intelligent features that brings top SEO capabilities in your hands that were previously out of reach. The smart automation features give you the power of an entire SEO team with just a few clicks.
A well thought out design, powerful features, and years of development by the MyThemeShop squad make Rank Math a game-changing SEO plugin that will level the SEO playing field in your favor to help increase traffic.
Site Kit by Google
Once you are done with the SEO using Rank Math plugin you will need to monitor the traffic on your website. I would highly recommend installing the Site Kit by Google to keep track of your website traffic.
Site Kit is the official WordPress plugin from Google for insights about how people find and use your site.
Site Kit is the one-stop solution to deploy, manage, and get insights from critical Google tools to make the site successful on the web.
It provides authoritative, up-to-date insights from multiple Google products directly on the WordPress dashboard for easy access, all for free.
Site Kit includes powerful features that make using these Google products seamless and flexible:
- Easy-to-understand stats directly on your WordPress dashboard
- Official stats from multiple Google tools, all in one dashboard
- Quick setup for multiple Google tools without having to edit the source code of your site
- Metrics for your entire site and for individual posts
- Easy-to-manage, granular permissions across WordPress and different Google products
Site Kit shows key metrics and insights from different Google products:
- Search Console: Understand how Google Search discovers and displays your pages in Google Search. Track how many people saw your site in search results, and what query they used to search for your site.
- Analytics: Explore how users navigate your site and track goals you’ve set up for your users to complete.
- AdSense: Keep track of how much your site is earning you.
- PageSpeed Insights: See how your pages perform compared to other real-world sites. Improve performance with actionable tips from PageSpeed Insights.
- Tag Manager: Use Site Kit to easily set up Tag Manager- no code editing required. Then, manage your tags in Tag Manager.
- Optimize: Use Site Kit to easily set up Optimize- no code editing required. Then, set up A/B tests in Optimize.
#8 Add Your Content (Text, Images and Videos)
Once you are thorough with the first 7 steps, step 8 is the easiest one. Adding images and videos is fun and you can do it on the go as needed.
Adding images and videos is super easy and a common function for any type of website or blog using WordPress. All you need to do is follow the given steps below:
- Login in to your WordPress dashboard
- Hover your cursor over the Media tab on the left-hand sidebar
- Now click Add New
- Then click Select Files
- Locate the folder from which you want to add any media type like JPG, PNG, JIF, MP3 or MP4, etc.
- Click open and the media will be uploaded in few seconds
There is one more option to upload the media files from within the page builder like Elementor and/or from the post editor but I would strongly recommend uploading all your images and videos from the WordPress dashboard using the Media subtab as it helps you manage the image dimensions and size in check.
If you use this method to upload media files, the Smush plugin will resize your images maintaining at the same time.
#9 Link Your Social Media Handles
Linking your social media profiles to your website is crucial in today’s internet driven world.
Firstly, if you are building a brand along with your website then you must create social handles which are common across all the social platforms.
For example, if you are dealing in pancakes business then your social handles may look like @mypancakes.
Keep your social handles the same for all the major social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn at the minimum.
Next is linking your social handles to your website. You can use the WordPress widget as an option to link your social handles to either header or footer section.
Or use Elementor page builders’ social icons widget to link your social media handles with your website.
#10 Check if your website is mobile friendly
Nowadays, almost all the themes and prebuilt templates come with responsive web design. In simple language, the responsive web design reshuffles page elements as the viewport grows or shrinks depending on the screen size and orientation.
Having that said you may not have to do much but review and check your website on different screens like a laptop, tablet and smartphone.
If you use Elementor page builder, then you can check the responsiveness of your pages while designing and make changes before making it live. To do so you have to get into Elementor editor and then click on the responsive mode icon.
You can find responsive mode icon at the bottom of left hand side. Toggle between the three options Desktop, Tablet and Mobile to see how your content displays when viewed on respective devices.
Yes, you can easily learn how to design a website by following the steps in this comprehensive article.
You do not need to be a techie or a developer to design your website, you can learn how to design a website and get better at it with time and consistent practice.
Should you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I will address them almost every day.
Read the article from the top and follow along to learn how to make a website and design yours with few simple steps.